silkbedding4u.com News & Articles
Standard Mattress Sizes in the U.S. - Width, Length & Thickness
When buying fitted sheet or sheet set for your mattress, it is very important to know the length, width, and the depth (thickness) of your mattress. In the US there are five main mattress sizes, and those are twin, full, queen, king, and cal. king. The chart below is the standards in the US.
- Crib size mattress - about 27 x 52 inches (27.25 x 51.67 inches).
- Twin size mattress - 39 x 75 inches.
- Twin Extra Long mattress - 39 x 80 inches.
- Full size mattress - 54 x 75 inches.
- Full Extra Long mattress - 54 x 80 inches.
- Queen size mattress - 60 x 80 inches.
- King size mattress - 76 x 80 inches.
- California King size mattress: 72 x 84 inches.
Some fitted sheet may be 1-2 inches wider than the actual length and width. This is okay, especially if your mattress is thicker than normally 8-15 inches. The fitted sheet usually fits used to be the standard mattress thickness of 8 inches. Over the year, thicker and taller mattress with different kind of padding has evolved. Measuring the depth (thickness) of the mattress is absolutely important. Pay attention to the mattress thickness the fitted sheet will fit before you click to add to cart. You rather find a fitted sheet that fits thicker mattress than your own mattress than find the fitted sheet that does not fit at all. The unfitted fitted sheet can be very frustrating in terms of wasting money and time for canceling and exchanges.